PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet FO anxiety attack
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2019, 08:01
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After the Germanwings suicide the CAA are very cautious about mental health issues so the fact that he’s been cleared again to fly means he must have passed a rigorous procedure to get his medical back, so I think we can rest assured he is safe to fly. Also I believe that when people hide these type of conditions they can be worse - the anxiety of thinking what the consequences of having an anxiety attack and what people will think must add considerably to it. Once out in the open and having received treatment I’m sure he has strategies for dealing with those kind of feelings. And perhaps greater awareness of not flying when unfit from lack of sleep or fatigue - an ever present issue with low cost flying.

I’m very pleased that this guy has received treatment and is back on the line. It will encourage others with mental health issues to seek help rather than bottle it up and hope no one notices.

What effect would grounding anyone who has a mental health issue have on the number of people seeking help do you think? Very much the same as disciplining people who make mistakes instead of retraining them has on an open safety reporting culture.