PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Manual Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2019, 00:00
zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over 15 years on the A320.

Magenta Speed target is not always VAPP.
You will only finesse this when you really understand what you are seeing.

A useful observation is the speed above VLS, as it gives your true energy. More than 5 knots means extra.energy. A last look at 50 feet determines two things,
1. Thrust reduction height.
2. Rate of flare.

If you are 10 knots above VAPP of say 135 knots you are adding about 15% V squared energy. (145 x 145)/(135 x 135) You are flaring in AOA demand law. (Not load factor demand)

The time you have this occurring is when the Wind entry on VAPP page has a low headwind, and the actual headwind is significantly high. (Drives up Ground speed mini and speed target)
This detail is somewhat missing in FCTM.

I call it the 5 foot float, and its a predictable event. If you do a normal 'muscle memory' technique flare with the extra speed (whilst bang on Magenta Speed Target) the float is assured. (Leads into the tail strike).

If you are landing on a short runway, This extra speed can lead to problems with inexperience if you have these conditions, and having a higher FMGC headwind entry can bring down the Magenta speed target.
Maybe I fly into some airports where this happens a lot in summer, but its useful to understand.

The FCOM states 'Insert the Average wind given by ATC on ATIS'
If the Wind is 150/10-20 knots, the average is 15.
(Some read this as Gusting 20 and only put in 10.)
The second example in the FCOM is 150/20G30 (Insert 150/20)

I almost always find there is a gap between thrust reduction and initiation of the flare.

Happy Landings.