PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To the Experienced Pilots
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2019, 10:04
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reasons why individuals decide to go into flying vary markedly.

At one end of the spectrum, there are those who have no particular interest until probably late teens who think that the life style is glamorous, wearing a uniform and with the appropriate shades. They are assisted by the Bank of Mum & Dad.
I suspect that the majority of these would, with the benefit from of hindsight, have chosen a different occupation.

Then at the other end of the spectrum are those who, from an early age, were ‘plane daft’ to use a Scottish expression. Building airfix models, going spotting, joining the Air Cadets to go flying for free. Extremely knowledgeable about aircraft types and various aviation books in abundance at home.
Those who have showed a passion, and thought of having no other occupation, are probably the most likely to have done it all again.

When I was having a day flying up in the distant Isles where not a lot was going right ( ac tech / adverse wx etc) and frustration was setting in, I would ask myself whether I would prefer to be in the office (ex articled clerk for my sins) or flying; aviation was the answer every time.

I suspect that the answers received might roughly fall into these two broad categories.
There will always be the exceptions.....