PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More woes at SFO - transposing runway numbers leaves little room for error
Old 18th Sep 2019, 22:10
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman

I’m pretty sure the journalist was just trying to give the reader some general idea of the speed involved. “How fast are we going at takeoff/landing?” is a fairly common question. 160kt is a reasonable enough answer without getting into a lesson on runway performance.

Regarding the incident, my airline has had crews misread performance data for 01 and 10 at SFO. I assume it’s got to do with the way our brain processes information. You’re much more likely to confuse 01 and 10 than 08 and 18.

Similar situation with 13/31. Even more so since it’s the same bit of pavement, and your mental picture of the airport may actually add to the confusion. “Did ATC say 13L or 31L?”

Always have to look out for that at JFK, for example.
I am sure you're right, it just pushed a few of my buttons. Saying a typical speed is 160kts means somewhere between 155 and 165. Still way too narrow of a gap. Saying 184mph (to me) means somewhere between 183 and and 185 mph, obviously too narrow of an band. We now confirm the physical runway against the FMS at least twice, I am sure there will still be some events where people get it wrong (hope it's not me...).