PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recruitment Process
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 17:49
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On one hand, I do think that the HR industry has indeed got much more involved in the pilot assessment process than it needs to be. Part of this I think is to justify HR’s existence itself, which is why there is now a near obsession with psychometric tests, group assessments, case studies, various types of interviews and other ways that HR bods spend their days overseeing. Many of these assessments can be quickly manipulated by the candidate to tick the assessors’ boxes. For example, by mastering
the STAR technique, using other people’s names or certain canned phrases in a group assessment can be the difference between pass or fail. So it can be the case that decent candidates get knocked back, purely because of how objective the assessment is. Whereas lesser candidates get through if they know how to tick the boxes.

Still, it does sound like you’re frustrated with the recruitment process, and understandably so. You definitely need a combination of hard and soft skills, and an attitude that you only need to be a good pilot is the wrong one.

My advice would be to research, study, and practice assessment and interview technique. There are plenty of brilliant books and websites with tips how to do so. If you can combine your excellent life experience, education and training with good interview and assessment technique, you’ll be onto a winner.

If not, sadly it’s a competitive industry. There’ll be someone with less life experience, less education and lower flying standards than you who’ll get your job. Just by using a few phrases or the STAR technique.

It may sound like I’m telling you just to play the game, which to an extent I am. If you are a complete end of the bell variety, there’ll be no helping you. Regardless of if you use the STAR technique. And by quitting now, you’ll be saving many a skipper some very painful, awkward sectors on the line. I hope this isn’t the case, and simply by learning how to broadcast yourself more positively to assessors could be the help you need.