PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Manual Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 12:49
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by John Citizen
This has always worked well for me, which is what I was taught on day 1:

Be stabilised flying towards the aim point/following the GP

100' - look far ahead at the very far end of the runway (most important, to be able to judge the sink rate during the flare)

(if I make a bad landing, it's often because I don't do this and so I often have to remind myself to do this)

Maintain attitude.

After the 30' call - thrust levers idle (also rudder now if crosswind).

After the 20' call - flare

(very important - don't flare too early. Not until after the 20' call otherwise you will land long or firm)

Flare - just a small back pressure input to raise the noise maybe 2 degrees.

Flare by looking at the far end of the runway, and just judge your sink rate as normal (looking at changing runway perspective and the runway edge lines/runway edge lights) to minimise sink and touchdown in the zone.

I hope this helps.
That is exactly how to do it - every thing John mentions I do it all a little lower but that comes with practice once you have ‘got your eye in’. If you are MFF you rely on the RAD Alt a lot for judging the flare on the different sizes and weights of aircraft.

hans brinker is spot on with Airbus FBW. The FCOM does show the feedback from the aircraft via accelerometers to the FBW, but it is quite subtle and not really explained.

Not many trainers seem to know how the FBW interacts with the pilot, or how to operate the side-stick; hence you get unhelpful comments such as “it’s fighting me, hold the stick only at the top, only at the bottom, don’t touch it” etc.

Hold the stick normally, like a pistol, and make sure your arm rest is fully supporting your forearm.