PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go-around below minimums
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 09:33
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
I’ll admit I’m biased because my airline uses the “landing” callout, but let’s play devil’s advocate here.

You get to DA, and call “landing”. At 100ft, an aircraft down the runway starts to cross. Are you going to land the airplane because you said “landing” and are thus mentally prepared to land? As somebody said, I’d like to see some actual evidence to support that claim. If that’s indeed true, we’re in big trouble.
It's great your airline has such a good and deep understanding of the real meaning behind a "landing" call and wealth of shared experience you did not need to adopt the change.

Pardon me, the idea of ramming someone else on the runway because "landing" was said is a strawman argument. In reality (as I see it) "continue" does

1) support the go-around mindedness below DA/H (remove any obstacles against)
2) call spade a spade, because to continue towards landing is what you decide at minima (semantics is not all just water under the bridge)
3) in the particular case of FBW Airbus remove the sound-alike calls "LAND - green" vs. "Landing". (no matter Land / vs. Landing of latter years)

ad 1) runway overruns are one of the big three of our era. Each of them is a G/A not executed- Even the north-western hemisphere does not have a record as stellar as it should. Why does Little Rock keep repeating? Now being a D.A. against myself: since the adoption of "Continue" not much has changed, hah?!

ad 2) If you tried to explain the concept of "landing" meaning "we will continue towards the touchdown zone in an attempt for one, ever aware that a g/a is an option and by the way the only right one for many things that might still happen" to a 7 year old you would not get the message across. A 17 year old programmer would raise a finger most likely.

It does matter. There are different cultures where formal compliance is seen a high virtue, which is where actually the whole thread stems form. If we agree there's nothing wrong with being formally correct in aviation, see the 767 pilot from 17 SEP. He came to ask about how far you can go without ATC clearance, because announcing "landing" without the approval from tower felt unauthorized to him. That's not a type of thinking you wish to have at minima on a checkride day to a foreing hub with tropical weather all around.

ad 3) for the record, when adopted by Airbus they only followed what was done on your pond side already, so this triple win is none of their creation.

I get it "don't fix what ain't broken" prevailed where you are, but mostly for anybody else there are reasons to activate the change. And K.I.S.S. is what we got.