PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training bonds - enforceable or not?
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 07:44
TinFoilhat2

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Officer KiteWell let’s reverse that then. Use myself as an example. I have thousands of hours on both turboprop and jet aircraft in charter work and airlines.

Lets say you need to hire pilots and you don’t want to sponsor the young guys with no experience in case they run away early (which is unlikely because a major airline unless desperate is not going to hire a pilot without serious experience first) so you decide to go after a pilot like me or one of the many experienced guys on here who have multiple type ratings.

So let’s say I fly the type you are looking for, what are you going to offer me? I’m sure as hell not taking a pay cut out of the goodness of my heart to work for you, you are not typing me so all that is left is T&C’s, salary and QOL.

which means if you can’t afford us experienced guys you need to go after cheaper inexperienced Labour and ensure they are typed on your aircraft you purchased or leased to make money off. That is your responsibility to your business and possible shareholders.

It is not a pilots problem whether you can afford to or not. You as a responsible businessman need to ensure your pilots will stay for a certain amount of time because it’s not the cost of a TR that will bankrupt you, it is aircraft sitting on the ground.

No other industry in the world charges their employees to work for them and help reduce their business costs. If you choose not to type those inexperienced young guys that’s fine but you won’t have any pilots because you cannot afford us experienced ones so you simply go out of business.

So again, factor in all cost of doing business and ensure the carrot is big enough and juicy enough for 95% of your pilots to do their 3 years. If Emirates comes along and offers them the A380 on huge salaries, well that’s part of the risk of going into business and you knew that from the beginning.

As I said above earlier when times are tough for companies they just shred and cut loose employees in the blink of an eye regardless of their families, mortgages, medical bills etc yet the directors and CEO’s collect their huge bonuses and take no pay cuts so dont blame the little guy for looking after himself.

Pilots never made the rules but are entitled to play by them, it works both ways.