PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Manual Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2019, 02:14
John Citizen

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Instead, listen to your instructors and just keep going back to your companies landing technique and repeat it
This technique actually DID come from an experienced company instructor. I did NOT make it up myself and it still works well 1,000 landings later.

To those recommending certain actions in response to radalt call outs, don’t become too reliant on them, sometimes they don’t work
Over 1,000 landings in the Airbus and the radalt call always worked. Obviously, with a dual rad alt failure (in the simulator) this technique cannot be used, but it is a good technique to learn on and after a while you will learn the picture and know when and how to flare without the rad alt.

Don't get hung up on exactly when to flare and how much, it will vary depending on weight, wind, runway slope etc. Just LOOK OUTSIDE and adjust your closure rate based on what you see, it will be different for every single approach
Yes sure, there will always be variations as you mentioned, but the technique I mentioned above works most times in most landings (typical weight, wind, slope etc). and it is a good starting point for routine normal non-challenging conditions (as you would expect for you first few landings).