PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could an armed T-X adequately defend the United States?
Old 16th Sep 2019, 18:05
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
Some years ago, when I had a small finger in the T-6 Texan II / JPATS program, we learned that the Greeks were going to purchase an armed option. (Nothing fancy, no radar, mostly bombs, rockets and guns IIRC). The NTA is what that is apparently called now.
And ... as I do a little light digging into Google ... I discover that there is more to be had. (Even though a push to do BFM / ACM training in the T-6A for NFOs and NAVs was floated and rejected due to energy management problems ... anyway, that's what the Navy found back then)
T-6B Texan II Upgraded version of the T-6A with a digital glass cockpit that includes a Head-Up Display (HUD), six multi-function displays (MFD) and Hands on Throttle And Stick (HOTAS), used at Naval Air Station Whiting Field, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, and United States Naval Test Pilot School.
Leading to:
AT-6B Wolverine Armed version of the T-6B for primary weapons training or light attack roles. It has the same digital cockpit, but upgraded to include datalink and integrated electro-optical sensors along with several weapons configurations. Engine power is increased to 1,600 shp (1193 kW) with the Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6-68D engine, and the structure is reinforced.
Cheaper than T-X. (Yeah, I know, it's not as fast, and a radar in the nose is unlikely fit. )

To answer the exam question:
> Could an armed T-X adequately defend the United States?

An armed T-X means "one" so the answer is no. A few hundred? Could contribute. Depends on what rader, EW, and other assets are available as part of the overall effort.