PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 10 TRW RF-4C Crash at 1986 RAF Brawdy Airshow
Old 7th Nov 2003, 17:49
jimgriff

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was also at the show and witnessed the crash.

They did a low and dirty pass along the runway, I remember the RIO waving to the crowd as they went past. As they headed out towards St Brides Bay (Newgale) the nose came up and it started to roll to stbd. There was the unmistakable sound of both seats going off with me looking at my mate and stating "Sh*t! They've just ejected". I remember Rescue 190 getting off the ground in an absurdly short time and weaving around the parked cars. I remember thinking that the MAEOP had better be strapped down or he would have been on the wall! Both crew were dead on arrival of the chopper as they wetre probably ejected downwards at a very low height. However, by all accounts chutes had deployed and were alla round the wreckage. There seemed to be tons of fuel all around nNewgale beach fore weeks after too.

The show was also remembered for a load of Hunters doing a long and low, high speed pass earlier in the show. The noise will never be forgotten.