PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet FO anxiety attack
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2019, 16:26
Reverserbucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No mandatory incipient or developed spin training required during basic training any longer Uplinker although there is some quite advanced UPRT conducted at one school I'm aware of although to be introduced in due course as described by parkfell.

TelsBoy - pleased to hear that you have returned to flying and that you are managing your health; good news. Did you identify an issue in advance and declare to your AME or did you suffer an episode in flight which lead to a declaration of reduced medical fitness? I ask because a big part of the problem with mental health appears to be the recognition that anything is abnormal by the sufferer. I speak as someone who has experienced at first hand a close relative who, after a significant period of time where we and colleagues knew things weren't right, has been diagnosed with a form of paranoid psychosis. Although not employed in a safety critical function when working, my relative will not accept the diagnosis, refuses to continue a course of medication, has lost an influential and high earning job (following a number of incidents of unusual and erratic behaviour) with little prospect of a return to the workplace, and refuses to acknowledge that there is an organic problem that might be managed successfully. My relative hid the symptoms well for a number of years although became something of a recluse in the process and although not employed in the aviation industry, an attitude prevailed where mental health was/is not openly discussed for fear of being perceived as weak and a risk, despite well advertised peer support and counselling resources.

Germanwings certainly lead to some changes in terms of how we manage mental health in European aviation to some extent, but I worry about the perceived stigma associated with a diagnosis in what remains a very conservative work environment. The risk associated with undeclared or 'unseen' disabilities in a locked cockpit environment is not well understood, despite Germanwings 9525 - there remains much reliance on self-declaration.