PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet FO anxiety attack
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2019, 14:14
TelsBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a pilot who has experienced anxiety and its crippling affects on life, I read this thread with much interest and sadness.

Firstly, my absolute best wishes to the FO involved, and I hope they get the help they need and that things work out. I hope that Easy give the individual involved lots of support, and the same from the CAA (in my experience they were understanding and have been very supportive).

A worrying incident at a vital phase in flight, however it can happen to any of us. Life's pressures sometimes just get too much. My own experience was the illness of my youngest son which resulted in a lot of serious stress and worry, 6 months of practically no sleep, my wife having Post-Natal depression followed by a mental breakdown and almost the end of our marriage; thankfully, all of which has now been resolved, my children area healthy, happy and well, our marriage is good, and we are both well again, albeit on medication. My medical was held up for several months whilst I had to see a CAA Psych and have a flight test with medical report, however thankfully all was sorted in the end and now I have my medical again. There are many pilots, professional or not, in the same situation. Thankfully I have never had any symptoms in flight (or for the past 18 months I have been on medication for that fact) however from experience when it strikes it can be completely debilitating; it is like being a rabbit trapped in the headlights.

I am saddened by the ignorance and heartlessness shown by some on this thread; anxiety is not something you can appreciate until you have suffered from it. The good news is, help is out there, and when managed it represents no barrier to life at all, or to flight competency. It is very sad to see so many in the aviation community here with total ignorance of mental health issues. Presumably such people are perfect in every way, yes?

Anyway, just my views, for all its worth. Blue skies to you all.