PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do pilots need to relocate
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2019, 23:22
tony1605

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do pilots need to relocate

Hi All

This might sound a silly questions, i have recently attained my CPL, IR next... but one thing that is dawning on me is

Will i have to relocate to become an airline pilot? i live in leeds, i am 1-1-30h from LBA,MAN,LIVERPOOL & East midlands, and im banking on that being my saving grace. i dont mind the commute but with a relationship and planning for a baby i am really worried about having to relocate to achieve my goal , my girlfriend, soon to be wife has her own business here.

I dont want responses like "You are in the wrong job if you dont want to move", when i started flying i was single, no kids, but 3 years later everything has changed and i dont want to "up ship" and have to move., i just want to know what the reality is

I am open to being away for 3-4 months for training, but what is the reality. what will the airlines say to someone who says, he cannot relocate. is it common practise? i have 4 decent sized bases near me, i dont mind the odd crash pad near the airport if i am on stand by etc. i know it will limit my options but i want to know that options are still available to me

Any advice or tips i would appreciate