PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rest heart rate
Thread: Rest heart rate
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2019, 21:05
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 400drvr
Off topic but if you want to maintain your health here's my advice. Watch your weight. I've been flying long haul for 30 years and my weight has gone from 150 lbs to 210 lbs. My blood pressure and waist line have gone up as well.
Yep, my experience has been that weight increase is a negative. I've never had BP issues but at 6 feet tall and 180 lbs my A1C crept a click or two into the pre-diabetic range. The cardiologist barked at me until I got serious about carb intake.

I went full on to drop carb intake and it's no fun. Dropped potatoes, pasta, rice, deserts and bread to a great extent. Read the nutrition labels. It's all in one's head...purely mental. Did I mention it's no fun ?

And as I sit here now, my resting pulse rate is 50. I've exercised at least some for decades and have done 150 minutes/week for the last 15 years by getting to 75% of the max heart rate for my age (220-age X 75%)...about 130pbm. I do 30 minutes, 5 days a week. I suppose you can break up that 150 minutes how you wish and get the same results ? Don't know...

I lost track of the timeline (maybe a year ?) but I now weight 150 lbs with an A1C back in the "normal" range. It's a sacrifice and I hope it's worth it long term. Maybe I can live long enough to be a burden on my kids...it's a goal. Everyone should have a goal.

Last edited by bafanguy; 15th Sep 2019 at 21:22.