PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet FO anxiety attack
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2019, 09:39
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Landflap
The selection programs that others have referred to aimed, in part, to weed out those candidates who "appeared" to show a higher tendency to stress. Might be "cobblers" to you "Beardy" but the results were pretty good. Hamble had a 500 questionnaire followed by interview with a fully qualified Psychologist. Many thought one test was a co-ordination exerrcise. It wasn't. It looked hard at how candidates might re-act once placed in a high stress situation. Might be "cobblers" to you "Beardy" but I know who I'd rather be sitting behind ; someone who passed formal selection or someone who falls apart at selection questions, like, "What is a half divided by a half" when asked in a stress environment. Amazing how many go red in the face and bleat out " A quarter!".
The archaic belief that future mental health problems and weaknesses can be predicted by the selection processes you advocate has fortunately been consigned to the dustbin of historical bad ideas.

Stress is not the same as this young man's mental health problems.

Last week in Hereford a former hooligan committed suicide. His selection, discipline and training were of little use.
I hope you never have to have recourse to the few resources there are for mental health issues.