PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Croydon Airport
Thread: Croydon Airport
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2003, 15:18
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 321 Likes on 178 Posts
I live within a mile, but moved here when the airport was sadly long since closed. If i nip round the other side of the office floor, beautiful view of the industrial site that was once the airport buildings, and the common that was once the landing area... Lovely morning, the sun is rising over the misty hills of South Croydon...

You used to be able to get lots of b/w postcards of aeroplanes there, the HP-42s, Argosys, etc, plus more modern types including ther Morton Heron which was the last commercial flight to leave the airport I believe, in 1958... Hence the Heron on the pole outside. The airport closed officially in 1959, but still had Rollasons building Condors and Turbulents and civillianising Tiger Moths for some years after that. Presumably they were trailered to Redhill. An acquaintance in the Dog and Bull was apprenticed there for a short while in the 50s....

Some of the pubs around here have pics - the Skylark in South Croydon seems to have an eclectic selection of images, including a Connie which never came into Croydon, and a Tiger Moth with a standing-on-the-wing passenger, which did. Ah! 1989 and the Very Last Ever Airshow at Croydon, organised by the Tiger Club.... super, Ray Hanna flying his Spitfire between the Tower block at Roundshaw (since demolished I think) and the chimney on the Indy Estate, Brendan O'Brien nearly getting arrested by a couple of flatfoots for "stealing an aeroplane" - they were fooled by the build-up to his crazy flying display... I digress... pleasureably!