PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet FO anxiety attack
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2019, 15:36
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
Originally Posted by Banana Joe
If the person involved is confirmed to be a MPL graduate, I am curious to know the actual amount of hours he had on SEP before progressing his training in the simulator. And it would be also interesting to know what wind limits were imposed for his training on during the initial phase. I heard of schools that would not let you fly with wind reported more than 10 kts.

Simulators, as good as they might be, are not good at replicating variable wind conditions.
According to the AAIB the Co-pilot’s flying experience was 686 hours (of which 512 were on type).
Assuming ‘flying experience’ means airborne time then 174 hours accrue?

Reversebucket makes a very valid point about the lack of exposure to less than benign conditions.

Banana Joe makes comment about simulators. I would suggest that some extremely challenging conditions (pre programmed nasties) can be created in the simulator. Next time you are in the box for a LPC/OPC ask the TRE to “spice up your life” for 10 minutes. Watch the smile in response to your request.

There has been some speculation, as the AAIB narrative is a fairly sanitised report. There is no clue as to the characteristics of the two pilots. Psychometric testing such as ‘16PF’ would reveal detail information.
What is for certain is that the departure of the FO from the flightdeck would have come as a surprise, if not a shock to the Captain. I cannot recall such an event in the recent past?

It most certainly will have concentrated the minds of management, and those who deliver CRM.

An additional item to be considered in the Threat & Error Management process.