PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 13th Sep 2019, 06:23
glenb

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Policy Two

Wow, this is making me reflect, I had being playing around with this for years, and its very nostalgic looking back on it. I haven't really proof read it, and might need the numbers fact checked by the ABC.

Policy Two- Promoting the importance of Australian Made

Each of us as an Australian consumer has immense powere to influence the health of the Australian economy.

If each of Australias 10,000,000 households were to divert $50 per week of household spending away from foreign products to Australian Made products, we would be diverting a staggering $26,000,000,000 back into the Australian manufacturing sector per annum.

Assuming that approximately 1/3 of Company revenue is returned as wages and salaries, that would generate approximately 100,000 new jobs on salary of $85,000 per annum.

Many of Australias current 500,000 unemployed would be appreciative of our combined efforts.

Consider this, there are 25 million people living in Australia, and we cant even buy an Australian made pair of undies, socks, or a motor car.

Of course we can blame Government policy, and there is no doubt that is a major contributor, however, the opportunity to remedy the situation sits with us, as consumers.

To achieve this, requires the Government to provide funding to significantly increase awareness of Australian Made and Grown products.

Government Departments would obligated to purchase Australian Made and Grown products in all cases where there is less than a 10% price differential berween an Australian Made product and a foreign owned product.

The criteria for deciding the use of the Australian logo is industry specific and determined by Industry i.e. Its easier to get 100% of Apples from Australia, than it is a silk textile.

Each Industry body in conjunction with the respective unions would detemine and publish the criteria for their specific industry, as to what can carry the Australian Made Logo.

The intent would be to encourage purchase of the product determined to have the most, Australian content, and most in the national interest.

Their would be national laws mandating Australian Made products to label products prominently with Australian Made labelling.