PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 12th Sep 2019, 12:48
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt
Thanks for that, grizzled.
I would add that the decisions of Boeing and the FAA dearly impacted hundreds of innocent families whose only fault was to trust the planemaker and regulators.
What did they do for those families after the crashes ? Incriminate the pilots, and move their cases to Indonesia in order to compensate less.

They would keep their own families "out of this", but the flying public is invited to put their own families on board...
I for one wouldn't board any of those 737 MAX unless I have witnessed Boeing and the FAA's top brass flying around the world with their best beloved...
I think that the same could be said for training of the crews. As was shown the first Lion Air aircraft flew to destination after the crew switched of Stab Trim and the Second Lion Air flight, had the captain remained flying could well have recovered. There have been multiple posts here that the aircraft were flyable and could have been recovered but the crews lacked the training to do so. I think I echo a previous poster in saying that there needs to be more attention to training of manual flying and also handling of 'surprise' failures especially those failures that provide cascades of 'attention getting' alerts. (and human factors people need to pay attention to potential cognitive overloads caused by such cascades of alerts)

Do you want your family to fly on an aircraft with a crew that has not been trained sufficiently to be completely confident in switching off automatics and flying and recovering the aircraft manually?