PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian radio equipment on military airfields
Old 10th Sep 2019, 14:47
Phil_R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Civilian radio equipment on military airfields

Hi folks

For a long time, and certainly as recently as a few months ago, people taking electronic equipment onto military facilities were sometimes (far from always) asked to provide information on any gear that's capable of making radio transmissions. I work in the film and TV industry, and in our case the list tends to be quite long. We have video links, remote control gear for camera and lenses, radio microphones, and voice communications gear, and much more besides.

It's not a big deal - another day, another form - but I find myself wondering why they care.

Most of this will presumably be visible to military equipment, though in most cases it would not look appreciably different to home wireless network, wireless TV extenders or garage door openers in the 433MHz, 2.4GHz and 5 to 5.8GHz ISM bands. If any attempt was to be made to monitor what we're doing - and I can't think why anyone would have the time or interest to do that - you're going to have every cellphone in everyone's pocket on the same screen.

It's clearly a very old form and I wonder if this is some ancient requirement that could easily be done away with. Is anything actually done with this information?

Thanks,

-Phil