PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell ditching off Newcastle
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2019, 08:38
junior.VH-LFA

Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
If the clearance limit was Anna Bay the pilot would have most likely had the lights of Newcastle ahead when flying south.
A left turn out over the ocean to hold would result in no visible horizon while in the turn!

Then declare a pan or declare those intentions due to WX. Don't inadvertently fly into IMC for the sake of not breaching a clearance. ATC, even the RAAF ones, exist to facilitate you and keep you safe. If that was a concern the pilot had, why not say that? ATC is not responsible for knowing when you've reached your limit to operate the aircraft in the category you're flying under. That's your job as the pilot. All they can do is apply the rules they have with the category you've agreed to fly under.

None of this is to say the way the airspace is managed is perfect, I don't think anyone thinks it is, I note the current AIC SUP reference WLM's airspace (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com...up/a19-h40.pdf). But what you're doing right now is drawing a massive bow, and pre emptively laying blame at people who likely had nothing to do with the tragedy that took place here.

And I have flown through WLM in a GA single, it was a total pain in the ass. I agree it’s not done well, I just don’t think it’s relevant to what’s occurred here.

Last edited by junior.VH-LFA; 10th Sep 2019 at 09:05.