PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 9th Sep 2019, 10:39
Jhieminga

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by medod
Still, none of this takes away from the fact that the pilots were fully aware the left engine was on fire but took no actions to deal with it. They had observed that the engine had low MAP before V1 but elected to continue. Once the fire was obvious, the LAME handed the PM the AFM QRH but the PM "ignored it", to quote the report. It must be said though that the LAME was manipulating the engine controls, not the pilots.
For me, this is one of the main questions that remains after reading the report; why did they not take any action to deal with the engine? Was this because of a CRM arrangement where they expected the LAME to deal with it? Were they too overwhelmed by the flying qualities of the aircraft with one engine low on power to take on any other tasks? Did the events unfold with such speed that they didn't have time to take action (I cannot find a timeline in the report)? I realise that we may never know the answer, but a bit more attention to this particular question by the investigating team would have been appropriate in my view.