PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia : 315 Million Loss - How long can they survive?
Old 7th Sep 2019, 14:21
The Bullwinkle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you like your airlines thin on staff, go work for a LCC like Wow, Whizz or Ryanair.... watch your salary drop, start buying your own uniform/lunch and pay for your own ratings; they share your opinion on managers and staff. If you don't like that plan, you're working for an airline that needs to stand out from the crowd.and has to offer all the extra guff which requires people to manage the aforementioned extra guff, like FFP, customer service, catering, lounges etc etc.
I’ve never said anything like what you are insinuating.
Never have I said that the airline should be thin on staff. It should have the correct number of staff in the necessary positions and those staff should be the best available.
And I absolutely believe that the new CEO has evaluated the situation quite accurately and determined where the business needs to focus its attention in order not only to survive but to prosper.
And I’m well aware that the airline needs managers and again, the new CEO is putting some excellent people into the necessary positions, the permanent appointment of the new COO being a perfect example.
The previous CEO brought all his talentless mates from QANTAS and paid them ridiculous salaries and all they did was feather their own nests, to the detriment of the company.
Obviously it’s unfortunate when anybody loses their jobs and I’m sure the new CEO did not take this decision lightly. Quite the opposite in fact.
But something had to be done to repair the damage done by his predecessor and I believe that he is making decisions with the company’s best interests at heart.