PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A hasty go-around. Easy to be wise after the event
Old 6th Sep 2019, 09:48
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldenrivett
I disagree. It's nothing like rejecting take off after V1 - it is a recognised procedure called "Balked Landing".

The guidance mentioned in the report "Birdstrike Threat Awareness" says,
"VII.2 At Landing • On short final, do not go around, if birds are encountered, but fly through the bird flock and land. Try to maintain a low thrust setting. • The use of reverse thrust on landing after a birdstrike should be avoided. It may increase engine damage, especially when engine vibration or high EGT are indicated."

Pity - that crew hadn't read it.
You misunderstood what I stated. I was referring to sudden reaction on impulse. Baulked Landing is not a procedure to fly into two dozen birds. Nor is there any procedure that mandates go around after sighting birds. If you thing they followed baulked Landing then it was as bad as following UAS procedure after takeoff at FL370(AF447). From 120ft by the time engine winds down after damage you will have a residual thrust to take you short of runway. At 120ft you don't need to have read any procedure. It's common sense. You always have some additions to VLS. If you shed that or even go five kts below VLs heaven is not going to come down.