PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane Dorian Response By USCG
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2019, 04:04
SASless

Received 553 Likes on 224 Posts
Dorian will pass by my place about 0300....just about when High Tide occurs....fortunately the combination of its track offshore from me, a return to normal tides instead of "King Tides", wind direction, and my geographical location on the leeward shore next to two large inlets that facilitate lessened storm surges.....will make this far less a destructive storm than last years Hurricane Florence.

All this week folks have worked together helping one another get ready for the storm, have checked up with one another all day and on into the night making sure others are doing ok.

I know tomorrow we will assess our own damages and begin the contracts with others to see if they need help.

After we take care of our own immediate needs and those of our friends and neighbors....we will start looking out for those who need help even if they are total strangers.

That is the way it works where I live.

Last year we all turned out to help those who lost everything they had or had major damage to their homes and businesses.

We were two weeks without electricity or cell phones and internet before things returned to "normal".

I had a whole house standby generator.and had normal services to include hot water, cook stove, and air-conditioning...and my neighbors did not go without a hot meal or hot shower or the opportunity to get some relief from the heat and humidity.

We turned out and used Farm and Construction equipment to clear private drives, county and state roadways....cut up fallen trees, got trees off houses, drove folks into town for medical care....drove people to their jobs so they earn a living.

Disasters bring people together....particularly if you have an ingrained sense of community that comes with living in rural areas or small towns.