PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay messy in SFO
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2019, 07:10
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
That’s not debate. That’s just telling me to mind my own business.

Are you trying to tell me that at the end of long sectors pilots are always tired and, as a result, are not able to perform a safe approach?

If this is the case then why do the rules allow it?

I suppose the greatest irony here is that, in a Hawk, I completed an approach to 28R at SFO at the end of a 12 hour work day in 2012. So you see, it wasn’t in a wide body, but I have actually been there. I was tired too.

I realise you have a lot of experience in the commercial world (whereas all of my experience is fast jet) and I don’t but I do fly as a long haul passenger quite regularly. If the ability to fly a safe approach is truly so compromised by fatigue then surely something needs to be done about it.

BV
Most certainly not telling you to mind your own business, but I feel your undoubted military experience and expertise, without long haul airline experience might not allow you to have a balanced, informed debate !
Fatigue is a fact of life in such ops.and, I believe, always will be so long as humans are involved, particularly when airlines are trying to get as much productivity from the pilots as the law allows. Something the military does not do, so far as I know !

( I guess the short haul guys working to EASA limits are getting pretty tired too ! )

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 5th Sep 2019 at 11:17.