PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay messy in SFO
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2019, 17:22
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I find it interesting that many posters have mentioned that the Cathay crew would have been fatigued after a long flight. I have seen similar reasoning on other threads where crews have made mistakes.

Assuming they were within their crew duty times can we really excuse the mistake by saying they were tired?

I know what it’s like to be fatigued but surely the regulations and our best practice should prevent it from causing problems such as this.

If crews are routinely making mistakes due to fatigue then maybe the rules need to be changed.

I realise I am putting the cat amongst the pigeons here but I do love a good debate.i(

BV
You may have been fatigued BUT do you have any experience of long, often night, flights with big time changes and with your circadian rhythm shot to pieces. Max FDP .minimum rest, do it all again as the companies are all working you to the limits.

My worst, LHR to NBO, via CDG, or ADD, dep 2200, 12 hours rest then back to London, all legal, Arr LHR feeling rather dismal to say the least. I declined my company request to op as 767 Captain, AUH to PER ! And we had three crew in those days !

So, many pilots now transferring to part time, no surprise there.

If you have not experienced it perhaps, best to stick to military, Jag, Hawk, matters !