PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 4th Sep 2019, 09:36
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it would be fair to say that a Fleet Air Arm aviator should want to be streamed to the asset which can embark for many reasons - but top of which would probably come professional interests when it comes to long term career progression. This may come in the obvious form of time at sea and Deck Landings but also in the more subtle cases of having the right environment to prepare for command exams and being reported on in a way most conducive to progress.
I think that those that campaign for an amalgamation or similar of all Fixed Wing into one service have missed the point that a career develops you for what’s next as well as what’s now. Yes of course RAF pilots can land on a boat etc but until there is a cross service acceptance that senior aviation roles (currently) in the RN - in surface combatants, on battle staffs and in HQs can all be done, and will all be done, by RAF officers without harming their own career prospects (or any other downside) then the best fit is to have aircrew of both shades of blue progressing up their respective career totem poles. We’ve got two dirty great carriers for goodness sake - finding a way of reducing fixed wing SQEP and ‘Air mindedness’ in the RN would be lunacy.
Not that we haven’t tried lunacy in the past.

As for the broader point about streaming. We now have two options. New and old. 5th Gen and something else. I’m sure no one in the Typhoon force is particularly fussed what studes at Valley think about the two. There’s always been a sense at role disposals that some options are ‘less good’...just that the choice is now severely limited!!