PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia : 315 Million Loss - How long can they survive?
Old 4th Sep 2019, 05:48
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by non_state_actor
I agree with the sentiment however getting retrenched from a corporate job isn't like being retrenched as a pilot. If you are in a non aviation role, there are plenty of corporate jobs down the road in your field. A friend of mine resigned from his job simply because the head office moved a few kilometres and affected his commute!! So culling 700 odd jobs, of which many are probably redeployed anyway, can't be thought as the same as retrenching pilots. Basically if an Airline Captain gets retrenched it's going to be the end of their career in Australia as a Captain. They might be able to collect an FO job somewhere but unlikely they'd ever be a Airline Captain again. If you're an accountant, work in finance, HR etc, you can just move to another company probably on the same train line.
In addition, I don't think anyone is vilifying those being made redundant... no one on here knows who they are but the airline does appear to have a lot of 'timer servers' who add zero value to the company as regards providing a return on shareholder funds... this is after all why the company is in business. Lot's of people are made redundant or rather their positions are, every day. It is a very sad and stressful time but that doesn't mean people can't comment on what can assist this airline in getting to where it needs to be... the alternative is to continue to carry a section of personnel in the company that may result, if retained, in ALL of the personnel losing their jobs ultimately. Perhaps people who have no 'real' job may find more satisfaction in another job or industry. Having been in the workforce for nearly 40 years I believe in most circumstances people KNOW when their job isn't essential and often end up finding more fulfilling careers. Any opprobrium should be directed at the ineffective and incompetent managers that employed so many people in the first place and created the structure that led to bandaid appointments being made... they making those decisions of course, would be the ones being paid millions of dollars per year, along with generous bonuses for delivering absolutely CRAP performance and results... because, you know, we 'have to' pay millions to 'secure the best management talent'... seriously, the money would be better spent on pilots and/or better systems and processes. Let's not forget either that it's not like 750 people are going to be cleaning out their desks all at once, many of the positions will be the result of natural attrition.