PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia : 315 Million Loss - How long can they survive?
Old 4th Sep 2019, 02:24
non_state_actor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
It’s a bit disappointing, albeit not unexpected in this forum, to read the vilification of these 750 roles to be reduced. Especially those firing off the rhetoric are probably pilots and as such hold prominent leadership positions in VA. Leadership by example, I’m sure I read that somewhere.

To assume that all 750 of these jobs and the people who fill them do nothing more than suckle at teat of the company, not produce or do anything meaningful and should be dispatched to the unemployment line posthaste is just plain vexatious. Yes there would be some positions that are a nice to have when things are going well, which they aren’t and these are obviously not sustainable. And yes every workgroup, pilots included, have individuals who are as useless as tits on the proverbial. But it is false equivalency to say this is representative of the whole.
I agree with the sentiment however getting retrenched from a corporate job isn't like being retrenched as a pilot. If you are in a non aviation role, there are plenty of corporate jobs down the road in your field. A friend of mine resigned from his job simply because the head office moved a few kilometres and affected his commute!! So culling 700 odd jobs, of which many are probably redeployed anyway, can't be thought as the same as retrenching pilots. Basically if an Airline Captain gets retrenched it's going to be the end of their career in Australia as a Captain. They might be able to collect an FO job somewhere but unlikely they'd ever be a Airline Captain again. If you're an accountant, work in finance, HR etc, you can just move to another company probably on the same train line.