PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich-2
Thread: Norwich-2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 20:43
Flightrider

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to say I cannot agree with the criticisms above, and I say that as an infrequent user of Norwich.

I quite like the airport. Yes, the ADF is a pain. However, I've never found security to be invasive (and I could give you a list of places in the UK allegedly working to the same legislation of which I could say that) and it has retained the convenience and speed benefits of being able to use a smaller airport - which is a huge plus when compared to the likes of Stansted.

If you look at Norwich's route network today, you have:
- KLM service to Amsterdam maintained over many years
- A Loganair base now with three jet aircraft flying Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Jersey, Manchester which I think I'm right in saying is larger than anything AirUK had at Norwich when taken together with KLM's Amsterdam service
- The Flybe/Eastern service to Aberdeen
- A based TUI 737 operating to Spain, Greece with a collection of destinations beyond what was ever imaginable 20-30 years ago
- A prosperous helicopter sector with two based operators (after CHC moved from North Denes)
- Air Livery paint shop
- KLM maintenance base
- FBO with SaxonAir

It's a balanced, all-round business with a reasonable amount in each segment. That level of diversity is something of which many larger airports dependent on a single carrier, or a single low-cost carrier, would be envious. Based on all of this, I don't see the comments above as anything other than an anti-Norwich raid, for which I don't know - and don't really want to know - the reasons. Suffice to say, the views are not shared.