PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich-2
Thread: Norwich-2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 19:39
NickBarnes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn

That’s good Nick if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread.

Google Skytrax or other sites to see how passengers assess Norwich.

Letters to the local Eastern Daily Press are frequent and mention issues such as queuing outside in freezing weather on arrival to clear customs.

Here is the text from a letter in the EDP yesterday.

“Recently, the boarding charge at Norwich Airport has again been in the news. As a traveller from there for the past 15 years, I have attempted to get information on where the money goes. I have written to two MPs for Norfolk; getting no response.

A friend of mine was told by someone at the airport that the runway had been upgraded — I would have thought that such expense would be covered by landing fees, etc.

To me, the worst aspect of the situation is that virtually nothing has been done to improve the lot of the passengers; who after all, are essential to the existence of the airport.

Surely a minor portion of the money raised could be spent on providing shelter for disembarking passengers?

Up to now up to 300 passengers are made to stand, as I have done, in driving rain, for over 30 minutes. The owners and administrators of Norwich Airport should be ashamed.”
Link here https://www.edp24.co.uk/features/why...-fee-1-6248392

The so called development fee has not resulted in any passenger creature comforts or indeed an ILS on 09.

Hence the failure of aircraft to land on 09 when the vis is poor.
I am sure you now know about decision heights and diversions.

As for the ‘International ‘ tag that is totally dependent on KLM continuing to run the service to Amsterdam.

I say again this was a great little local airport decades ago run by a joint local council group who sold out to a series of commercial operaters that has now been reduced to an old shed run by the Rigby group.
Look I understand you will always have this opinion and that's fine, but once again I say to you in the last year, 2 brand new Costa coffee's have opened both Landside and Airside, of course the new world duty free as seen in airports up and down the land. Whsmith completely refitted landside and a new one opened Airside along with the new pub. All the creature comforts you would expect from a small airport. I must take pictures the next time I fly through as a passenger and post them and let you decide if it still looks dreadful, although I admit it doesn't look great from the outside.

Yes the ILS on 09 would be lovely but on a lot foggy days Runway 27 can be used but even then I believe our RVR needs to be 550m plus so even though that's got an ILS if it's fogged out you ain't getting in anyway.

Yes KLM is the only year round international at the minute oh and of course with Tenerife also and I stress at the minute even then TUI since 2014 I think has had a based Aircraft in the form of Germania and now Sunwing for the summer season flying to a range of summer spots.

Of course we would all like to see the ADF go but once again I ask you if Norwich is 3/10 on Skytrax what makes Luton and Stansted worse at 2/10 on Skytrax?

Many things wrong with Norwich mostly to do with the ADF but aren't there at so many airports across the UK.

PS there is shelter for passengers going through although Id say a little extension would be good but there is no way an aircraft with 300 passengers would have landed at Norwich and id also say at no point have I seen passengers waiting 30 mins in the rain ever