PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Longranger confusion
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2019, 02:33
Rotorhead84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longranger confusion

In the market for an L model. Utility work so the most useful load is all I care about. Price is obviously a factor, but secondary to useful load. I had heard that L's were getting cheap, but L4s are still up there.

Anyway, Confused as to all the differences between the the L1C30, L3 and L4. Especially the smaller details and differences.

Best I can figure, the L1C30 is the lightest of them all, but the MGW is lower. L3 has higher MGW than the L1C30, but is heavier empty weight. L4 has different or upgraded transmission and as a result, the engine is uprated to allow more horsepower. Apparently there is a kit or two kits of bell design that allow to turn an L1 or L3 into an L4? A max gross weight kit and a transmission upgrade? Apparently uprating the engine is a mechanical thing? Is the high altitude tail rotor only an L4 thing? I assume that is a must have. We don't work at very high DAs, but we are at max gross most of the day.

If anyone familiar with the finer details could lay it out for me and school me I sure would appreciate it. No detail is too small, lay it on me! I love to learn about this stuff. This community has such great insight and experience.