PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia : 315 Million Loss - How long can they survive?
Old 2nd Sep 2019, 17:27
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Colonial
Some time ago a few mates over at Virgin told me that the rear cargo door hinders Virgin Australia’s ability to release, sell or lease back their B-777.

Virgin's decision on ordering the aircraft from Boeing was apparently to opt for smaller rear cargo doors which means (or so I am told) that the 777s cannot take standard international freight pallets.

I assume, if true, this makes them less appealing to other Airlines and Aircraft Leasing companies. Maybe not too suitable for what Qantas is looking to achieve in Project Sunrise?

Certainly, freight features as a supplementary form of income to offset weak passenger loads on flights between Australia and International destinations by carrying large cargo.

Is this true and another factor in Virgins current fiscal stress?
It is true about the cargo doors... it's inconceivable that an experienced airline, as opposed to one where the decision were mainly made by people with no industry experience back then, would make such a dumb decision. It's almost like specifically ordering a 747 but asking them to put small doors on it. Stupid doesn't begin to explain it but lack of knowledge and/or incompetence does. Goodness knows what they do when they bring in a pallet from PER on an A330 going to LAX... must have to pay additional to have it unloaded and re-stowed in compatible ULDs. Dumb.