PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Theory and Speculation On AA A300 Crash In New York
Old 19th Feb 2002, 21:25
TraderAl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like the answer to the crash will be pilot error, either from mis-applying AA procedures or because AA was teaching the wrong drill. Sures looks to me like that this is where it is going.

But, after reading these threads it still doesnt rest my concern.

Now, could any of you work on the model that a bomb caused the violent side to side sway on 587. Work on the model in terms of how much force is required and placed where on the AC to get the necessary side ways force to rip the rudder off, to explain the "tap dancing" on the pedals and the quandry you all seem to be wrestling with up above. Try to proof such a model not to solve a conspiracy theorey or to please the nuts, but rather to see if it is impossible to work with the bomb as a model. If it cannot explain the forces and movements that ripped AA 587 rudder/tail off, so be it - but it is starting to appear that the bomb model is not as whacky as a AA pilot suddenly breaking into a deadly Fred Astaire routine on the pedals. (Since we have discared the material and material fatigue as most here were convinced of)

I would start with Reid shoe bomb placed in the stern, being basically a shaped charge to the side acting as a thruster swinging the tail hard to one side.

See if it can be done.

I do not have the engineering ability or flight knowledge, obviously, top be effective here. But many here do.

You might want to start working on it, for otherwise 587 will likely go down as pilot error. Does that result satisfy you? A senior pilot for AA would be so incompetent?

Baiting I am, but I bet a "bomb model" will have less back flips in logic than the rather bizarre twists and turns folks are making trying to explain how pilot error could rip the rudder off what appears to be a functional and air worthy plane.