PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-130J broken engines?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2003, 20:22
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr C

I'm sure there are some loads that the J can't carry that the K can. I think I'm right in saying there are some wheeled loads we're restricted on by the fitted dash 4 kit and that the oxygen modules in the roof incur some height limitations. Also, the Mk5 can be odd when trying to seat pax or on pax only moves with no other freight to trim it with. Ultimately though our bread and butter loads, pallets of rubber dog sh*t and air experience Land Rovers, are a problem for the neither of the aircraft. If the J has the performance to get more people or rubber dog do into or out of a location then surely that must be an improvement?

Arguing the corners of the performance envelope - be it the MOS performance of the K or the the J's inability to carry a Deltic ship engine (or whatever) reveals little other than that perhaps the two aircraft types can complement each other in certain situations - hence a 50/50 fleet?

PS.
I'm well aware that the Herc is there to move stuff around hence the comments in my initial post about some of the design and planning failings regarding the back end of the J. Please don't try and paint me as bloody minded aircrew who couldn't give a toss about the backend of our aircraft. Pretty much everybody at Lyneham is ultimately just a small cog in a big wheel in an even bigger machine the sole purpose of which is to move rubber dog sh*t and air experience landrovers round the world - no matter how loud they shout or how big their combat smock is
I'm not interested in an inter-trade bunfight thanks.