PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BREXIT
Thread: BREXIT
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2019, 14:49
Imagegear

Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
So you are (perhaps) a Leaver who is in favour of the UK having hard border control in place at the NI/ROI border for traffic into the UK?

I only ask because many a Brexiter's declared tactic in the event of a no deal is to have no such Border on the UK side, which, GFA, aside, potentially allows for FoM northbound.

Perhaps not, Living in France, I voted remain, but I accepted the result without becoming a "remoaniac", rather someone who would like to see all EU borders more firmly controlled. (Including the ones between Italy, France, Belgium and Spain.) I am sure that you will agree that even if a "hard border" is established between Ireland and Northern Ireland, for immigration purposes, it will be as porous as the Dover/Calais/Zeebrugge/Boulogne fiasco.

While it is possible to move illegally between Canada and the US across the border, the likelihood of one being intercepted and asked for ID may well result in a swift repatriation without the option of ever returning. Contrast that with the EU's approach, something lacking?

IG