PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Typhoons 56 Squadron
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2019, 12:06
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
He explained that on take off the stick should be slightly aft and the rudder pedals centralised. The brute was now tamed and largely without swing..
May I respectfully urge a word of caution when reading stories from those who have actually flown these and similar types. As we age and tell stories of our derring-do, it is inevitable we gradually start to embellish these stories without being aware of it. Soon, and with repeated telling of the same story, it is all too easy to fall into the trap of old age and believe what we are saying is really true, when it may be inaccurate. I have been guilty of that. Then when cross checked against my flying log book or diary notes the discrepancies appear.

The above highlighted statement about taking off in the Typhoon may be an example. In 1953 at the age of 21, and with a total of 210 hours in my log book, I flew Mustangs for a while. Within a year I flew three trips in a Sea Fury. Both types had powerful engines; the Sea Fury more so. Providing you didn't bash the throttle forward to the stops on the start of the takeoff run and/or try to raise the tail too early in order to get a better view over the long nose of these fighters, (and thus risk a strong swing due combination torque and gyroscopic effect), both aircraft were relatively easy to fly. Not forgetting that RAF or RAAF pilots flying these aircraft had probably previously flown Harvards. Or in my case, the Wirraway. These were first class training aircraft and well prepared you for more powerful types.

I find it difficult to believe that, as highlighted, the pilot could have his rudder centralised throughout the duration of the takeoff roll in the Typhoon and thus "tamed the Brute" The swing on take off which characterized these aircraft was easily held. Certainly that was so in the Sea Fury, so I presume the Typhoon with its less powerful engine should have been easily held providing good airmanship was applied.