PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 1st Sep 2019, 07:13
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
When I ran the recruiting session at the UAS one year, I discovered a number of forms from young ladies which hadn't been processed - the adjutant had put them on one side. I asked why - to which he replied "We've got our 10% females". So I told him that there was no such limit and to process the applications - the girls were equally entitled to apply for membership. We managed to contact most of them, but one never received the message. Her father later wrote to ask why she'd been excluded, so I apologised and told him what had happened; sadly by then we had no more vacancies for the current intake - but encouraged him to ask her to reapply for the following year. Which she did, but unfortunately the quacks found a medical issue; however we made her a 'social member'.

I found that there was a distinct difference in attitude between males and females - if you said to one of the lads "That was an average trip", he'd think "Good, I'll be off to the pub later". But say the same thing to one of the girls and she'd usually put in the effort to do better next time. Rather more rewarding to instruct! It also helped that they washed their flying suits more often than the lads and were less likely to turn up with hangovers.