PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Buckley and Australian small business -V- CASA
Old 1st Sep 2019, 00:13
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
"...in cases against CASA the AAT have sided..."
I presume you meant to say "... sided with CASA"?

From an article by Paul Phelan in Australian Flying:
24 Mar 99:
In a pre-hearing teleconference between Uzu, CASA and the AAT, the Tribunal indicates that it expects CASA to restore the AOC by close of business on Mar 26, provided the three CASA conditions are met (which UZU insists they already are).

In anticipation of a full AAT hearing the following week, UZU has already applied for summonses requiring CASA personnel to be present at the hearing. This means they will almost certainly be called upon to give evidence and to face cross-examination.

The AAT official indicates that she will be in her office for a further half hour after close of business, and that if the AOC is not restored by that time she will arrange a "substantive" hearing on Monday 29.

Late on Friday afternoon, CASA blinks. In a faxed message UZU is advised its charter AOC is restored "subject to the company implementing Class A maintenance” and check and training - a unique requirement, but at least the company is back in business.
"....so no amount of lobbing Senators will count."
Don't bet on it! CASA hates being questioned by politicians. Warren Entsch MP has been known to bring pressure on CASA.

It appears Glen Buckley has been stone walled, hung out to dry, denied natural justice and review in an appropriate Court. He has nothing more to give or lose. This forum and selected media is now his only recourse, as all other avenues have been denied by CASA.

I'm impressed with how his plight has motived a very wide cross section of the Australian aviation industry. Even this PPRuNe thread now has 432 posts, 168,298 views and assisted in raising $20,808 from 111 concerned people. The funds raised may not reach the $50,000 for a lawyer review, but they certainly give Glen funds to keep fighting.

I suspect a few in CASA may be concerned with how and when this will all end.