PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying the mortgage...
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2003, 18:49
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming my first step is the ATPL writtens by distance learning, how long will it realistically take, assuming I take on a part-time job too? How many hours of study should I expect to do per day, assuming I want to spend no more than one year at it?
It took me near enough exactly 12 months. I studied a couple of hours a night most weeknights, and several hours each weekend. It's not easy, but it is possible. Bear in mind, though, that if you fail any of the exams you'll need to add a couple of extra months for resits.

You should plan on taking 6 weeks off work for the exams. Almost all distance learning schools (I think LGU are the only exception) organise the exams into two modules, with a mandatory 2-week brush-up course, followed by one week of exams, for each module. (If you're really pushed you can cut that down to 5 weeks and 3 days, since there are no exams on Fridays).
Once into hours-building and ME/CPL/IR/MCC courses, is it still realistic to work in between modules, just to keep some money coming in?
Absolutely, as long as you can get the time off work.
Has anyone tried this (training and working at the same time)? How did you get on?
Am part way through it at the moment. Hour-building and exams finished, CPL course starts in 3 days' time.
How long did it take from PPL - fATPL(IR)?
Will be two years from PPL to CPL. I had planned on another year for the IR, then doing an FI course at the start of 2005 before looking for a job. But the market is picking up and I'm getting more and more sick of my current job, so I'm now looking at accelerating this and finishing everything off towards the start of next year, even if I have to quit my job to do so. But the timescales are mainly dependant on how much time you can get off work each year.

Good luck!

FFF
--------------