PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for flight schools along route 66
Old 30th Aug 2019, 14:20
18greens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1
"As an observation, I've given up trying to self hire for a short one off trip."
I've found a standard 2 hour "biennial" is all that's demanded for Pa28 or C172.
​​There was rental at Flagstaff but that was years ago. With the huge population increase, likely to be more now.
My rentals have been from Grand Junction, Colorado, flying to Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico Consider flying North over Utah - much less busy airspace, spectacular scenery.

Sorry I wasn't trying to say it was too difficult to do - just that the instructors generally know the fun stuff to do in the area and for the sake of time and money an option if all you want to do is a bit of sight seeing is just do a jolly (under the guise of something that is not public transport) with an instructor rather than a checkout and then a private flight(s). A 2 hour biennial is only worth it if you really want to log P1. I've always found that by the time all the paperwork and checkout is done the day has slipped away and all you've had is a stressy checkout whereas if you say to the man 'Show me a good time' you get to do some fun flying and no pressure on passing or failing. Just a thought...