PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reds in US this year
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2019, 09:07
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure I posted this before somewhere - in Oct 71 I was on a 30 Sqn crew that took half a dozen officers associated with The Reds, including their Eng Off and one of the senior pilots Al East, to have a look at the options for the following Spring's planned tour of The States. The skipper was John Hext, who was very popular with the team as he always joined in well and complied with their needs - I gather on many Red's tasks some Herc' captains had adhered too closely to the planned chock times as if it was a normal Ascot task which didn't go down too well!
Day one we flew to Sondestrom, next day to Narssarssuaq ( Bluey West One in WW2 ferry crew parlance ), then on to Frobisher and finally Goose Bay. John was angling all the time to be given the trip the following year and he asked me to be his nav'. It was going to be 5 weeks,( and standing by for incoming ), I just didn't fancy being away from my wife and 2 very young children for that long and I was never that fond of the US - so I politely declined. Alex Nash, who later become a rotary pilot, replaced me.
I gather from what someone posted here a year or two back that 2 Hercs' supported the 5 week trip.