PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching in the Pacific Ocean
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2019, 18:05
ph-sbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcK
Are you sure you are from San Jose? There is no way you can get a Class B entry through the airliner approach paths between the West bay and the East bay. So 2,500 is as high as you can go. Try the Instrument approach to Half Moon Bay: over the water on final below 2,000. Watsonville: 11 miles over water below 3,000. Enroute, you can get higher, of course. The point being, I don't know anyone who wears a life vest when practicing instrument approaches into Watsonville (but then, I don't know everyone).
I've lived here since 2010.

Go fly the bay tour out of RHV. You'll be cleared to cross SJC at 2,500 and after that you'll be cleared to stay at 3,500 "south and west of the bayshore freeway" (I've heard that phrase sooooo often now). That's the 101. The airliners are well above you. In fact, you'll usually stay at 3,500 up until you are cleared to descent when you reach the City of SF, when they tell you to descend under the Bravo so you can fly over the Golden Gate and orbit Alcatraz. Which is the one time I'd by slightly out of gliding distance as I usually do that at 1,500. I usually just follow the 280 (that runs parallel to the 101, but more to the west, closer to HAF). KHAF is way east of the 101, and the airliners are typically way above the assigned 3,500 at that point.

And this guy was not flying IFR. He was flying VFR and should have stayed higher.