PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA License Conversion Advice: Regionals or I Pay by myself??
Old 29th Aug 2019, 12:12
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't spend your money on the conversion. If you don't have more total time, and some PIC, especially TPIC time, preferably 121 TPIC time, you're not competitive for a legacy job. Some lower time people get in but that's not normal and often times they have some connections. In the U.S. experience matters but specific experience doesn't. What that means is they like seeing experience in various types of flying, and aircraft, but the major airlines aren't looking for specific qualifications (ie 330, 777, 787, etc). And having a resume primarily on long haul aircraft, with fewer sectors and landings, isn't a positive. We don't gain that much experience in cruise. Going to Spirit, Jet Blue, etc, might pay more initially but it will delay acquiring TPIC or 121 TPIC time. What is your long term goal? If you're older I'd recommend applying at the non legacy carriers. If you're younger, and your heart is set on doing the long haul international flying, I'd recommend going the regional route and gaining experience in the U.S. domestic system, getting 1-2 more type ratings and showing you're ability to learn while gaining additional experience. The typical civilian new hire at a legacy has 5-7K hrs TT, several thousand hours TPIC, and often 1,000+ 121 TPIC. If the legacies are your goal build your resume in a manner that achieves those numbers as quickly as possible. That's the regional path with a 3-5 yr projection. That would be a resume bump of 2-4K hrs and 500-2,000 hrs TPIC. If you don't necessarily want a job at a legacy I'd apply to the non legacy airlines as soon as you finish training at the regional and you have your FAA licenses. Training failures might be hard to overcome. It's a competitive market. Additional training, which occurs at about 10% of the time at my company, isn't a bust. It's just additional training. A 'bust' occurs when you take a check ride and don't pass.