PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 340 (C-131D) ZS-BRV crash Pretoria, South Africa
Old 29th Aug 2019, 10:25
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
As suspected earlier, neither one of these so-called 'professional pilots' was legal to fly a ZS registered Convair.
Not very professional at first sight, but the report does show that both pilots were rated on the CV-330/340 (on their AUS licences) and had experience on the type. The problem was that these ratings were not copied across to their SA licences. This may have been because of a restriction in the SA rules (specifically the skills test mentioned in the report). If (I don't know if that's the case) they had instructor or examiner privileges, they may have been operating on a waiver, with the intention to use the flight to tick the 'skills test' box. This may seem odd, but in the case of historic aircraft it is not unheard of. The options for doing a skills test on a Convair in SA are not that abundant so sometimes you have to come up with a different solution.

Please note that I'm only playing devil's advocate with regard to the licencing issue. I'm not commenting on the other aspects of this accident.