PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - first flight experience!!
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2003, 16:35
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StraightnLevel,

Be careful about advising people to "raise the nose and put in as much rudder in the direction of the turn as you can." What sinsall is describing is effectively an aerobatic manoevre, so you need to be thinking in terms of aerobatics rather than (if you'll excuse the pun on your name) straight and level flight.

At 90 degrees of bank, the elevators will work like rudders and the rudders will work like elevators. So you will need top rudder (i.e. out of the turn) to prevent the nose dropping, and definitely won't want to pull back too hard on the elevators since that can only increase the rate of the turn.

I should stress at this point that I am not an experienced aerobatic pilot, so please take my post only as a caution against using "normal" controls, not as definitive instructions - and in any case, never take instructions on aerobatics (or anything for that matter, but especially aerobatics) from anyone on the internet - even if the instructions are coming from the most experienced pilot out there, they are no substitute for proper training.

Sinsall, I would be very interested to hear what aircraft this trial lesson was in!

FFF
-----------