PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Fighter Pilot: The Real Top Gun
Old 28th Aug 2019, 17:12
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
BV,

You stated;
As for ‘avionics’ warnings, they are usually generated by the TCAS tripping off as it’s attitude or AoB limits are breached, ie in every dynamic manoeuvre.

‘Traffic’ warnings are from other formation members. Annoying yes, but since the Moray Firth accident it is very hard to convince a duty holder that TCAS should ever be set to standby whilst airborne. Could you imagine if formation members collided and the SI reported that the collision avoidance system had deliberately been turned off?
As far as I know TCAS was designed as a Collision Avoidance System for civilian aircraft and/or Low performance Military aircraft. It was not designed for high performance fighter aircraft conducting ACT. Has the RAF changed the TCAS software to make it any more usable or reliable in a multi aircraft ACT environment? I believe that it was/is not technically feasible.

If the "Avionics" warning occurs every time the TCAS trips, it is distracting and annoying. More important is that if every time you point at another aircraft you get a "Traffic" warning your senses will become dulled to the warning. Unless TCAS gained a "Fast Jet" mode able to discriminate in a rapidly changing environment it is not viable for collision avoidance. Unless you can convince me otherwise I still believe that TCAS should be in Standby when conducting ACT. If need be operate in "Protected Airspace" such as a TRA.