PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA License Conversion Advice: Regionals or I Pay by myself??
Old 28th Aug 2019, 15:23
amonghtus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA License Conversion Advice: Regionals or I Pay by myself??

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. My apologies if you have already discussed this topic; my wife has also posted some things in this forum, concerning my situation.
I am currently flying with A330 with an Easa ATPL and I have accumulated more than 2000 hours in total.
I am holding a green card and my wife and I want to immigrate to the USA if I can find a competitive offer from one of the legacy airlines such as American or United etc.

As far as I understand there are two options available for me to do that.

1) I can start with a regional airline, which would force me to change my type rating. On the other hand, some of these regional airlines will pay the cost of my license conversion and other training stuff. Of course, this means that I will have to fly with a regional airline for a couple of years and then (hopefully) move on to the legacies.

2) I can go to a flight school and convert my licenses and everything by myself, paying between $10,000-$15,000 upfront. This option provides me with the opportunity to apply to the legacies. As I have read in this forum, the possibility of getting a job offer from a legacy is not guaranteed, due to my lack of flight experience in the USA.

I would really appreciate honest advice here. I am struggling with this decision. Which option makes more sense?
-Do I start with a regional airline and let them pay the license conversion costs, change my type rating, fly with them for a couple of years, build hours in the USA and then try to apply to the legacies changing my type rating again? Or

-Do I pay the conversion costs upfront and apply to the legacies, risking not getting a job offer and forced to apply to a regional airline anyway?
The second option is a big financial risk on my part, but it gives me that opportunity for a possible job offer from one of the legacies.

Thank you to everyone for all of your answers.